Both sides rest in Yerton case
TULSA (FOX 23) - A jury will start deliberating the fate of a former elementary assistant principal accused of molesting students.
Robert Yerton Jr., 43, is charged with two counts of child sex abuse and three counts of child lewd molestation.
Yerton is the former assistant principal at Skelly Elementary and resigned shortly after the 2010 investigation.
On Wednesday, Yerton testified in his own defense and denied molesting any child.
He’s accused of molesting two male students at Skelly Elementary and another at Disney Elementary where he was a teacher in 2001.
On the stand Yerton looked confident, calculated but not confrontational with prosecutors.
"This is his lawsuit and his life. I think he presented his circumstances well and I think he is very brave,” said defense attorney Richard O’Carroll. "She [Assistant District Attorney Sarah McAmis] threw the kitchen sink at him over my objection she got everything in the world. No person should have to answer to those kinds of accusations and I thought that he was polite and respectful and correct in his answers," said O’Carroll.
In his short testimony, Yerton told the jury, “I have never looked at [relative] that would be perceived as sexual in any nature," said Yerton.
He also denied touching or looking at any child in a sexual manner.
In the last week jurors heard from alleged victims and their parents. The whistleblower also testified and so did school administrators. Prosecutors said actions were not taken when the whistleblower came forward in October 2009.
In 2010, TPS told FOX23 News the concerns were not criminal in nature.
Records show Tulsa Police were not notified until April 2010.
The defense attorney said the alleged victims had their motives.
“What you don’t know and what these jurors won’t hear will make your jaws go slack and that’s a fact,” said O’Carroll.
In 2010, FOX23 News spoke to the parents of the six-year-old boy learning disability.
"He was touched inappropriate in his private area in front of her [whistleblower], said a parent in 2010.
Another alleged victim shared memories with FOX23 News that he buried for 14 years.
“He put his hand down my shorts and he just stopped and kept talking about the spelling words,” said the alleged victim in 2010.
Although the man’s allegations exceeded the statute of limitations, he took the stand during the trial. The man told FOX23 News after testifying he’s found closure.
Before Yerton and his family left the courtroom they stood in a circle, held hands and prayed.
The jury will hear closing statements Thursday morning and then will go into deliberations.
In June, the District settled two lawsuits filed by the parents of two students who claimed Yerton touched them inappropriately.