St. Louis Police Shooting Protests… 3rd Night of Violence

Riot police lined the streets of downtown St. Louis because of protestors causing a serious amount property damage again last night.

This was third night of violent protests after Jason Stockley, a white former St. Louis police officer who fatally shot black drug suspect Anthony Lamar Smith in 2001, was acquitted.

Critics are convinced he shot Smith six times with his own weapon then placed another in Smith's car to make it appear he had been armed. The gun had none of Smith's DNA on it but it had traces of Stockley's.

In an interview on Friday, Stockley, who is an Iraq war veteran said: ’I did not murder Anthony Lamar Smith. I did not plant a gun. I can feel for and I understand what the family is going through, and I know everyone wants someone to blame, but I'm just not the guy.’

Stockley also said the acquittal felt “like a burden has been lifted,” but “the burden of having to kill someone never really lifts. ”

Now, the city of St. Louis has been hit with daily protests since Friday. The protests have ended with police officers being assaulted, properties being damaged and dozens of people being arrested.

According to the St. Louis police department: “This is no longer a peaceful protest.” They said officers made “multiple” arrests after “agitators” hurled debris and smashed windows.

33 people were arrested and 10 officers injured by early Saturday morning alone. Police said protesters also damaged Mayor Lyda Krewson's home.

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens issued a warning on Facebook on Sunday that anyone caught destroying property would be held accountable and could face felony charges.

He posted: ”Saturday night, some criminals decided to pick up rocks and break windows. They thought they'd get away with it. They were wrong. Our officers caught 'em, cuffed 'em, and threw 'em in jail.”

At least nine more people were arrested Saturday night. At least half of the shops on a street in a popular nightlife district had broken windows by the time the area was cleared of protesters.


Print this article Back to Top